Easy Truck Driver Recipes from Smith TransportAugust 20, 2014 8:19 am Comment
When it comes to mealtime for over the road truck drivers, it can be a bit of a challenge making home-cooked meals. Without the luxury of a full kitchen and limited space in a truck cab, whipping up three-course gourmet meal every night isn’t likely. BUT, you can get to pretty close to it with a slow cooker, a little creativity, and these truck driver recipes from your friends at Smith Transport!
Using recipes and making your own meals is…
- Fun – Cooking in your truck cab allows you to experiment with new recipes and do something fun and different.
- Healthy – By choosing healthier ingredients and knowing what’s going into your food (unlike ordering at a restaurant), you can lower your daily caloric intake while still enjoying delicious, homemade meals.
- Inexpensive – Purchasing food at restaurants and truck shops time and time again can really add up. Creating your own meals will certainly keep more money in your pocket.
We suggest one piece of cooking equipment that many drivers have readily available at their disposal — a slow cooker. A slow cooker is versatile and simple to use. All you have to do is put your ingredients in the pot, drive, and when the day is done there’s a nice, warm, home-cooked meal waiting for you. As a driver, you want something easy and quick to fit your unique lifestyle. Of course you can always make a ham sandwich, but you may prefer to spice things up while still keeping simplicity in mind. These tasty, slow cooker truck driver recipes from Smith Transport offer just that:
- 2 pounds of boneless chicken breasts
- 1 package of fiesta chicken seasoning mix
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
Place chicken in slow cooker. Mix seasoning mix, tomatoes, corn and beans until blended. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred chicken and return to slow cooker; mix well. Serve over brown rice or veggies, if desired.
- 1 onion
- 1 cup artichoke hearts
- 4 tbsp. vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp. pesto sauce
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups whole wheat pasta
Cut the spinach and onions and layer these on the bottom of the slow cooker. Add the garlic and the artichoke hearts on top. Pour 4 tablespoons of broth over it and cook for one hour on high (or on low for 2 hours). Add pesto sauce and pasta with water and cook for another 30 minutes on high. Stir contents every 10 minutes, if possible. Add Parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes.
- 2 boneless pork chops
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- Salt and pepper
Put pork chops in slow cooker and add cream of mushroom soup (gravy) on top. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Sprinkle salt and pepper for taste. Serve.
Spaghetti and Meatballs
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 package frozen, fully cooked meatballs
- 1 jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 and 1/3 cups water
- 2 handfuls whole wheat spaghetti pasta, broken in half
Place chopped onions in slow cooker. Top with meatballs and diced tomatoes. Add spaghetti sauce and stir. Add water to spaghetti sauce jar and add to slow cooker. Cover and cook sauce on low for 6-7 hours, or on high for 3.5 hours until onions are tender and meatballs are hot.
Stir again, then add whole wheat spaghetti. Cover and cook on high for 20-25 minutes. Serve.
- 3 pounds boneless pork ribs
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce
- 1 package of whole wheat sandwich rolls
Pour can of beef broth into slow cooker, and add boneless pork ribs. Cook on high heat for 4 hours. Remove meat, and shred with two forks. Stir in desired amount of barbecue sauce. Serve alone or on a whole wheat sandwich roll.
So next time you’re pulling together ingredients for your truck cab, consider these easy slow cooker recipes. After a hard day’s work, you’ll appreciate the effortless and deliciousness these truck driver recipes!
Interested in driving for Smith? Contact a Smith Transport recruiter today!
Click or call:
- Apply online – HERE
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Recruiting Department – 866.265.3718
- Like us on Facebook